Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Day 1: Diagnosis



My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer on Thursday, October 11th, 2007. My sister Jill and I were in the consultation room when the doctor came in and gave us the news. While we were prepared for the worst, it did not lessen our shock when the doctor used the "C" word. It was like someone had knocked the wind out of our chests.

Jill was probably the most upset. My mother (whom I am probably the most alike) and I just kind of sat there in silence. We do not usually wear our hearts on our sleeves, preferring instead to calmly approach things and let them sink in. I will never forget the car ride home that day. You can never prepare for something like this. We tried to think of everyone that we needed to call, and Mom thought of everything that needed to be done around the house before the surgery. Luckily, since my "retirement" from the wine & spirits industry, we have been getting a lot of projects done around the house.

They say you never really know how many friends you have until something bad happens to you. In my Mother's case this is not necessarily true. She has always been very blessed with many caring neighbors, friends from work, her running crew, and her family. However, one could never anticipate the outpouring of support, encouragement, and and well-wishes that we have received in the past week. It is truly overwhelming. Perhaps the best spoken advice came from two of my Mother's friends who are both survivors. They have both been through this and have been a tremendous resource for compassion and support. It is very reassuring to speak to someone who has fought this and beat it! Thank you all for you continued support.

In the coming days and weeks we will update this blog as much as possible to keep everyone informed about my Mother's fight. We have very few details at this point as some tests are still ongoing. She had an MRI on Monday to get a better idea where the cancer was, and most importantly where it was not. The good news it that they believe that it has not spread to her other breast. They have identified the area of concern, and will forward on the results of the MRI to the surgeon. At this point she is just waiting to meet with the surgeon for a pre-surgery consultation. After the consultation it could be just a matter of days to a week or so until the surgery. There was a lymph node that was an area of concern that will be tested tomorrow. Again, it is our goal to update everyone as more details become available.

Please feel free to reach out to her or myself via e-mail with any questions or well-wishes. Our addresses are : wanarunow@yahoo.com & grant@macro-hard.com .
Jill's address is: skibunny162000@yahoo.com . Again thank you for all of the support, it has truly been overwhelming.

If you are interested you can also comment on any of these posts. Simply click on the comments section below the post and leave your thoughts.

7 comments:

Christa said...

Hey guys,
Grant what a wonderful thing you have done by setting up this Blog. I was touched by the beautiful photos you posted and what you wrote. I will be anxiously awaiting tomorrow's update. I was thinking last week about everything that has gone on the past several months, with Grant and his job, and the house deal falling through. It's so strange how it all has happened, and is definitely proof that everything happens for a reason. As difficult as this journey may become, I know that when it is all said and done, you will be even stronger and wiser than you are now! My thoughts are with you tomorrow and always. LIVE STRONG!! Love Christa
P.S. That is not the "Dr. J" that I was thinking of...not that it matters.

Karen Olehy said...

Dear Barb, Jill & Grant: We are so thankful that the Lord let our paths meet and we are blessed to know you! We are praying for your total healing and we know that God can heal you! "Faith is seeing the mighty oak tree is a small acorn". If you need anything, please let us know - we are here for you! Love, Karen, Ed & Kori Olehy (Thor, Gabe & Lily, too)

Louisa said...

Hi Grant and Jill, I have heard so much about you both from your mom, I am glad to finally met you both thru the photo you posted. Jill, you are as beautiful as your mom. And Grant, you remined me of my son, he is in the wine business and he is also a writer, and you also share the same birthday with my son on August 11th. I know this is a very scary time for you all, but remember your mom have so many friends, we are praying as hard as we could for her. I am glad you are both there for her, I know she is so proud of you both. Barb, your are a beautiful wonderful friend, and I admired your strength. I am so blessed to be in your circle, please let me be there for you. Love you, Louisa

Roberta King said...

I know several wonderful women who are better than 10 year survivors and I can't wait to celebrate Barb's 10 year survivor anniversary. In the meantime, you are all in my prayers. If there is anything we can do, please call.

Roberta King

Cathy Frietsch said...

Barb,

Just two weeks ago you were serving me water at the Chicago Marathon and I was fighting to finish and survive my first, but I did not give up. Although my battle was nothing like yours, I know that you will finish and survive just as I did and never give up. You have many supporters of friends and family with two great kids. Barb, it is has been great to have a friend like you for all these years and we have many more to come. You know that I am available if you need anything. And don't forget, we will be running next year on May 8th with all the survivors.

Grant, great job on the blog.

Love Cathy

Lois B said...

Hi Barb,

What a wonderful blog. I love the pictures and updates. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I know you are a strong person and through your faith and the support of your wonderful kids, other family and friends you will be a survivor. I have enjoyed our friendship over the years and especially reconnecting recently.

Lois

cousin Charlie &cindy Robinson said...

Hello,
This is the best thing you could of done for your mom. We love the pictures and the infomation and progress.We miss you all and our prayers and thoughts are all about you .

LOVE YOU ALL

CHARLIE & CINDY,
MISCHIEF TOO