Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Update

So much has happened since I have updated everyone last. Mom finished radiation, had reconstructive surgery, and finished her last procedure yesterday in her fight against breast cancer. Jill got married, bought a house with her husband, and accepted a full time position with Caterpillar. Grace and I moved back to Bloomington, I had my one year anniversary with GROWMARK, and I continue pursue my interest in photography. I had hoped to never use this site again, except maybe as a scrapbook to help other breast cancer patients realize that there is hope.

Unfortunately, we have had a bit of a setback on Mom's path to recovery. Yesterday, within an hour of finishing her treatments for breast cancer, we learned that the cancer had metastasized to her brain. We were immediately referred to an oncologist, where she was given a steroid to help bring the swelling down. There are about 6-7 lesions on her brain that are causing swelling. This swelling is leading to headaches, confusion, and memory loss. We went down the hall from the oncologist's office to meet with with the radiologist to determine a plan of attack. They took a mold of her face to develop a mask to both protect the areas of her skull that they do not want to radiate, as well as make sure that she is in the exact same position every time during the radiation.

We started radiation this morning, and will continue with radiation for approximately the next three weeks. She has a PET scan scheduled for Thursday to make sure the cancer has not spread anywhere else.

We are all kind of in shock right now as we enter the next chapter of Barb's Fight. We are cautiously optimistic as we enter this new fight. This is by far that hardest thing that Mom, Jill and I have faced in life, and we appreciate all of your prayers, e-mails and phone calls.

The best way to reach Mom continues to be e-mail. Her address is wanarunow@yahoo.com. You may also reach Jill and I at skibunny162000@yahoo.com and grant@macro-hard.com. Thank you again for all of your support.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you! I keep thinking about you constantly. I've been praying for you, my boyfriend has been praying for you, and we're praying for the best. We're all always here for you all, and I've given Grant my cellphone number. If you all need any help with the dogs or just ANYTHING, my phone is ALWAYS on and I'm never far. I love you!!!

Love,

Kori

Bri said...

Barb, we will be praying today. We love you!

Love,
Greg, Bri & Gabe

Anonymous said...

Barb and family,
My wife and I are praying and asking God for another miracle. We know that you are in His hands and He is in control. Please be assured that our prayers are offered up on your behalf and that we love you dearly.
California cousins,
Andy and Elda Robinson

Anonymous said...

We serve a miracle working Savior who is constantly with us and working in our lives! We are asking the Lord to totally heal you and we are trusting Him to do just that! We are praying day and night for you and we are already praising Him for what He is going to do! We love you! Karen, Ed & Kori

Judi and Rick said...

Dear Barb,

We are so sorry you have to face yet another challenge. You are so brave, please know our hearts and prayers are with you.

Rick and Judi Gentry

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb!

Just wanted to send some hugs and blessings your way. God is awesome and we're "jamming" the lines to Him with prayers. Never forget I'm just a phone call away! Love to all. Paula

Cheryl Kinsinger said...

Barb,

I just read the recent updates. I am thinking of you and praying for you.

Cheryl Kinsinger